Monday, May 11, 2009

Kel's first Zion trip :)

This last Saturday, we decided it was high time to take Kelly to see Zion National Park.

She is six years old, and STILL had not been there.

This year we are trying to take her to see as many parks as we can fit into our busy driving-back-and-forth-from-Cedar- schedule.

Ugh. :(






We got the idea from Emily. She was going to be hiking in Zion that day with the Thebeau clan...maybe we could meet up and hike with them too???

Well, that was the plan anyway.

We took off for Zion at 10:30. I was told to be ready at 10:00...but anyone that knows me, knows that I am ALWAYS late. I am pretty sure that when people plan things, they tell me a half an hour earlier so I will be on time.



I am ok with that.

D.J. and I haven't been to Zion since around 2000. That was before they added the shuttles. They are an interesting addition.

I think that I would enjoy the ride on the shuttle a wee bit more if I wasn't so claustrophobic. I took it all in stride though, and did not stress in the least.

It is pretty hard to stress out in Zion.



Deejer pointed out interesting spots along the way, and informed me about the different hikes. They all sound fun.

NOT Angel's landing though. That one is absolutely not for me. I got the willies just from looking at it in the shuttle. ON THE GROUND.

I could see teeny tiny little people on the edge, at the top, and I could not bring myself to even picture myself up there.

All right, enough of me going on and on about what a world class weeenie I am.

We decided to just go with the river walk.
  • It is short....1 mile to the end...1 mile back.
  • Mostly flat.
  • full of flowies, and nature.
  • Right along the Virgin river...really important as you can see here --------------------------->
We had lunch by the river bank. It was incredibly nice. Kelly got to cool her aching toes and we all got to enjoy the sound of the river running past us.


After watching Kelly walk for 2 miles, I realized that she needs to move up a size or two in the shoe department. I would buy some for her now, except it is only a couple of weeks until school is out. Then it is full on flip flop time.

I adore flip flop time.

No socks to fold...no worries about sweaty feet. Kelly really does not like having hot feet. Who does really???







On the more pleasant list of things that Kelly DOES enjoy....

ZION NATIONAL PARK!!!
(tttaaah daaahhh)









We DID meet up with Em, Doug Mia and all of the kick booty Thebeau family. Not an easy task. There was about a million and a half more people to weed through to find them.

We round a bend in the trail and there they all were. Kelly thought that it was pretty magical. There was lots of hugs and screams of delight.





They were all just going down the river walk, and we were done for the day...so we parted ways and made plans to meet up later that night. (the shish-ka-bobs were amazing)

Back on the shuttle. Kelly really liked being able to ride around without a seat belt.

Freedom!!!




Here is one of the only pictures where Kell Bell is NOT striking pose. That is a trick though....I asked her to look out the window.....so it is technically a pose.

Like her hair? It has lots of cute twisties. I get my ideas from this blog. The story of a princess and her hair.

This lady is a kids hair goddess.


The BAD part about this hair style is that I forgot to put sunscreen where Kelly had parts..and she now has lots of sun burns on her scalp.

Owie!!


Lastly...today was my REAL last treat day of kindergarten history. I thought that it was last month, but I was incorrect.

We made SNAILS!!!!

They are...
  • rolled up tortillia's with peanut butter and jelly for the shell
  • a cheeto for the bady
  • chives with a knot on the end for the eye stalks.

I was going to make them with lunchmeat, cheese, and mayo...then have a pickle for the body...but I ran out of $$$.

Bummer.

The kiddo's liked them though. :)




The front yard here at the Casa is blooming.

The back yard is plated and ready for a HUGE garden this summer.

We are looking forward to a great summer. :)

8 comments:

Amanda P. said...

looks like you guys have been busy and having fun!! You and your treat days... :)

Trinity said...

Zion is so much fun. It looks beautiful.

Nicole said...

We love Zion! I want to make a trip next time we are there, which actually might be Christmas...so...never mind.

Cute treats, as ALWAYS, Miss Overachiever. What the heck are you gonna do next year?? No treats in 1st grade!!! Oh noooooooo!

Anonymous said...

How fun! Zion's is a wonderful place. I love the picture of Kelli when she is sitting on the rock. That is really sweet. I love your snail! Of course all of your lovely Iris's too.

Staci said...

Super Fun! Hiking and Snails! What a fun life you have. I haven't really seen much of the beauty that surrounds us! Maybe as Jaci gets older we will start to do more of that! It's fun to see what you are up too!

Rhett and Tiffanie Jackson said...

the kids probably did the pb&j better....lunch meat gets wasted at our house if it is in bread...alone wrapped with cream cheese...can't stay in it! lol! you are a good kindergarten mom....by my 3rd child I am like whatever! lol! :) poor Val hasn't had as many fun things as Dallin did...oh well!

Trinity said...

Alexis, since you asked about the aprons I just wanted to let you know that I have recently started my own little business making and selling personalized boutique items. The aprons are just one of those items. If your interested let me know. I hold parties in peoples homes as well. I like to believe that I have quality items for a very very low cost, and everything is personalized for free.
tknell@bresnan.net

Unknown said...

You missed out on Angel's Landing!! What a view!