Saturday, October 11, 2008

Daisy troop fire station visit!


"Oh yeah!
It's the Girl Scouts!
Oh yeah!
They Rock!!"

That is my new chant that I do with Kelly and Jesee when we go to girl scouts.

Normally, it is held in the Elementary school gym...which I think is a GREAT thing. It is easy to get to and it is easy for the leaders, I hope.

Kelly's girl scout troop 2200 went on a field trip to the Kanab fire station the other day. I was asked to come along as an extra pair of eyes... so I went.

I do not have that much going on in my social calendar. Alright, I admit it, I was excited to go.

I decided that a camera would be sweet to have along with me. Then I would not just be the weirdo parent there to ruin the sweet fire station moment with my "I see you playing with that medical equipment" eye.

So, I borrowed my Mommy's camera. (Thank you Mommy!) Yes, I call her Mommy..and yes my camera is still a runaway.

Kelly, Jesee and I headed out to the fire station at 3:00. We were going as fast as we could.. we had to drop off people and pick up permission slips. Things like that always happen to me.

We got there alright.

Right in the middle of a speech about fire safety! UGH! Way to make an entrance team Alexis!

Oh well. We listened to Mr. Decker tell the kiddo's about fire safety and that the troop needed to make a plan with their family about a meeting place if there was ever a fire. Then they talked about smoke detectors and the like...

Wooo hoooo! It was off to the fire trucks!!! Ooooh we got to see the AMBULANCE too! Sweet!

(Side note to imaginary reader: I have NEVER been in an ambulance, or a fire truck, so this is a first for me too, and I was pretty pumped about it.)

The girls were separated into two groups. I was with Kelly's group, obviously.

We got to see the AMBULANCE first!!! A very nice man, Mr. Willoghby, showed us the ins and outs of the ambulance.
  • how to give a blood sugar test to a diabetic...poor Trina...not a popular thing to do around 5-7 year olds by the way
  • the power operated gurney
  • the stair chair....in case someone gets stuck and has to go down stairs..it is coool
  • the defibrillator..they liked that
  • he showed them the rescue backboard...they have new ones..some have metal..some do not, it is easy for x-ray's without metal I think.
I took a picture of Kelly on the backboard....(I am not 100% on the name for that I think I might have just made it up) All of the girls got on it, but I only took a picture of Kelly on it, because I am selfish and it was soooo cute and funny.

They said thank you to Mr. Willoghby and went on to the fire truck.

Kanab has a new fire truck yo!

It is TIGHT! It is all black and shiny...it reminds me of the old knight rider...but I am lame.

Mr. Decker showed them more about how certain fire trucks are used for different uses. Like one is for a house fire situations, and one is better for a brush fire. It was pretty interesting stuff.

Call the Discovery Channel, because these people can educate and entertain!

The girls got to get inside and sit in the truck. They even got to put on the head phones that the fire crew actually uses. It was sooooooo cute that I think that I got a little dizzy. :)

They then climbed all over it.. I wanted to see them honk the horn, but we were inside the station, so it would have been loud and scary. Which is why I wanted them to do it... I love to scare small people.

Not really.

OK, I do, but not if it could hurt their ears and stuff.

I asked if the troop could stand in front of the new fire truck for a few pictures together. The plan is to take those pictures, and send them into the local paper for some happy news.

"Little girl scouts check out fire station."

The local paper eats that stuff up!!!

I sent the picture along with some details of the trip and future goings on to the paper and on Wednesday it was NOT there.

Now, I am PRETTY sure that I made the deadline for the next issue. I looked and it was NOT there!

This is what could have happened....
  • I missed the deadline
  • I sent it to the wrong address...I would do that, I struggle
  • or, they just didn't care and did not put it in... boooooooo
It better be in the next issue, or I am going to have to make some NOISE!!!

Anyway, it was fun. Kelly answered a question about fire safety......and got a stuffed teddy bear dressed in a fire outfit.

Don't get too excited.. they ALL got bears... but I was happy for her for raising her hand and trying for a bear.

Yea! The people in our community that work so hard with the EMT and the Fire station rule!!! I have a new respect and honestly I want to drive the fire truck.....

But really, don't we all?

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is so cute, and they better put them in the paper because half the stuff they do put in there is LAME!

Nicole said...

I think it's a buckboard, but I am not sure on that :o) I could google it but I am too lazy tonight...

The paper needs some good stuff! A GS story would be fantastic!

Rhett and Tiffanie Jackson said...

field trips are sooo fun!! Your mom is still as beautiful as ever!! i miss her smile and laughter and friendship...does she still love angels? Later! T