Monday, October 27, 2008

Pirates love candy

I have witnessed it firsthand. Pirates absolutely live for candy.

The other day, I met a short pirate who went by the name, "One Eyed Cooper".

She was full of mischief and mayhem...she had plans to set sail for her Grandma Cooper's candy throwing bash.

One Eye insisted that I come along with her and enjoy the festivities.

Usually I would not make plans with short, bloody, one eyed pirates....but this one was especially cute and very charming. So, I agreed to go along with her.

When we got there, we were met by with her friend "Raggedy Ann". She didn't look raggedy at all to me. In fact, she was quite cute. I liked her braids and her dress. Her make up was different, but I hear that's all the rage with the cool kids these days.

Trends..I can never keep up with them. I am still wearing leg warmers for crying out loud.

Next Ole' one eye wanted to get some grub. She kept telling me that her Grandma made the best jack-o-lantern cheese burgers.

What is THAT?

It isn't pumpkin flavored cheese burgers, is it? I can handle hanging out with a swash buckling pirate and her Raggedy Ann sidekick, but eating pumpkin flavored cheese burgers is not on my list of things I want to do.

Then she kindly showed me her Grandma, and I saw right away what they really were. Just yummy burgers with cheese cut out to look like jack-o-lantern faces.

I could handle that. :)


Here she is...with her fellow scallywags. Enjoying the hot, late October afternoon.

*****Side note*******

Hello mother nature? It is almost winter. 85 degrees on October 25th is not natural. I am NOT a fan of hot weather, being as I am not the smallest person that I know. I prefer a chilly day to a warm one hands down.

This story is not about me and my temperature needs. It is about my adventure with my tiny pirate.

*****Back to the story*****

It appears that One eye does not like cheese burgers....look at the scowl that she can produce when asked to finish up her plate.

Shiver me timbers.

I asked her, "What did I do to you? Why do you want me to walk the plank, One eye?"

She grumbled something about wanting the candy to be tossed off of the plank, not me. Whew! That was a close one.

She went and grabbed her loot bag and waited at the bottom of the plank.

What could she be doing? Surely she had gone mad with scurvy....or were her mumbles of candy being tossed, tied to this craziness somehow?

I had to find out.

I went to the bottom, and waited by her. Soon, more small people gathered around with loot bags as well. Then they started to chant.

"Candy. Candy. Candy."

Is was enough to drive you mad. The suspense was killing me. What was going to happen?


Then I saw her. Gramma Cooper was outside, on the deck...with a huge bowl. What could possibly be in that large bowl? It couldn't be candy could it?

No.

That would be madness. I would not know what to make of it. candy flying through the air.

Then...it happened!

Gramma Cooper raised her hand and flung the candy out to the hungry mob below. It was like a candy rainbow, flying through the sky.

At first I thought that it was going to frighten me...but, to tell you the truth, I really liked watching it.

All of the short people ran around in a dizzy to catch all of the tossed candy. Gramma would reach into her large bowl over and over. It looked like it was raining candy.

I bet my friend Willy Wonka would have loved this party. My pirate friend really did. She was running around, laughing at the other kids. She even made sure that the even smaller people got their share of the candy as well.

Who knew that pirates were so thoughtful and giving? Not me.


Boy, was I wrong. Ole' One Eye then came to the sidelines and let the taller people try to catch the candy too. If it was my Gramma, I would stay and not let anyone catch it...but I guess pirates are just made from a different mold.

Here you can see the joy that pirates give when they share. Look at these happy people. I feel all warm and fuzzy all over just from seeing it.

Here she is walking away from the toss. She looks so fulfilled and happy.

Just as long as she does not try to threaten me to swab the deck or hoist the main sail.... I heard that angry pirates like to do that.

I looked around to try to find my small pirate friend.

Where could she have gone?

Did she go back to her ship? She would not leave me there, and not say even so much as a good bye to her beloved Gramma.

No. Not One Eye.

I spotted her sitting by her friend. They were eating their loot and swapping stories about salty sea dogs. Big grins were stretched across their faces.

All because of their love of candy. So simple, these little people. We could all learn a lesson from them.

Like....
  • Don't judge a person by how they look, they could be totally different than you expected.
  • Enjoy the little things in life.
  • Share your candy.
  • Spend time with your family.
  • Don't be afraid to try new things, like jack-o-lantern cheese burgers.
  • Sometimes you gotta just do what is fun, toss the candy off the deck, elbow your cousin for a snickers bar, cheer in delight at the sight of your loot bag.
  • Live it up! :)

5 comments:

Trinity said...

That's one cute pirate!
What a fun grandma to do something like that.

Rhett and Tiffanie Jackson said...

too fun! We are having a halloween party on friday...trick or treat from 5-7 (just in walking distance) and then 'Bat Burgers' at our house...it will be fun! Here is a treat idea for valentine's (yes, you have lots of time to plan) anyway, I did unfrosted sugar cookie hearts and put frosting in those little cups resturants put salad dressing in w/the lids and a baggie of decorating candies....and let them frost their own cookies...it was super fun (we passed out plastic knifes for them to use) the little 5 year olds had a BALL! Just a thought!

Nicole said...

Love the pirate costume! Glad she and Kenzie made friends :)

Phyllis said...

You are sooo talented Lex! That is the CUTEST pirate story I have ever heard! luvs, Phyl

Stephanie said...

Oh how fun. What a cute pirate. Mercedes is going to be a pink pirate. I'm glad you finally posted again. I was having withdrawals(is that how you spell that?) Anyways have lots of fun on Halloween.